Banana & almond bread
A delicious, moist, protein-rich banana bread. Quick and easy to whip up, it's the perfect afternoon snack for hungry school kids!
- 4 over-ripe bananas
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup natural yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (160 °C fan-forced).
- Grease and line a small loaf tin with baking paper. We use a pan that is about 20cm long, 10.5 cm wide (base measurements) and 7.5cm high.
- Sift flour, bicarbonate soda and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Then add almond meal to the flour mixture.
- Place mashed banana in a medium size bowl and use an electric mixer to beat sugar, oil and banana together until light and creamy. Add yoghurt, eggs and vanilla extract and beat well on medium speed until well combined.
- Add banana mixture to the bowl with the flour mixture and gently fold ingredients together until just combined. Don’t over mix as this can make the banana bread tough. Transfer mixture to prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan for 20 minutes to cool before turning onto a wire rack to cool