Almond, quinoa and pomegranate salad
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 5 tablespoons raw almonds
- 1 can lentils
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 bunch coriander (roots, leaves and stems), chopped
- ½ bunch parsley (leaves and stems), chopped
- 1 red onion, finely diced
- 5 tablespoons mixed sunflower seeds (pepitas), sunflower kernels and pine nuts OR an equivalent variation e.g. 3 tablespoons pepitas and 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons baby capers
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (best quality)
- Salt (salt flakes, preferably) to taste
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded, to serve
Bring 2 cups water and 1 cup quinoa to the boil and then simmer for 10-15 minutes until water is fully absorbed. Turn off heat and leave to cool.
Mix the yoghurt, ground cumin and honey in a small bowl until combined and then refrigerate until needed.
Toast almonds in a dry (no oil) fry pan for a few minutes and then cool. Bash into small pieces with a mortar and pestle (or cut into small pieces with a large knife) and set aside.
In a medium bowl, place the quinoa, almonds, coriander, parsley, red onion, lentils, capers, sultanas, lemon juice and olive oil. Mix well and season with salt flakes to taste.
Spoon salad into serving dish and dollop over cumin yoghurt. Garnish with pomegranate seeds.
Gluten and refined sugar-free
Serves 4 as a main course or 8-12 as a side dish